Re: Structure vs Substance?

Subject: Re: Structure vs Substance?
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Dan Emory" <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 11:37:13 -0700

At the risk of jumping in where angels (or anthropologists) fear to tread -
the essence of economics is not stats. I am trained as an economic
anthropologist (among other things) and economics is the study of the flow
of goods and services, how they are assigned, allocated, stored, saved,
used, and moved around in a group, culture, or the world, depending on what
you want to look at.

You must understand how and why these goods and service "behave" as they do
to understand the economics of something. That understanding MAY include a
stats analysis, but certainly does not have to. And having a statistical
analysis does not explain much - it is supporting evidence for other things.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com
Vice-president, Programs of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org