RE: Finder's fee

Subject: RE: Finder's fee
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 19:43:26 -0700

I have worked at a company where a finder's fee was paid to someone for bringing me into the company - I was the findee, so to speak. I found it a very comfortable arrangement. Since the fee would not be paid to the finder for a few months, and no fee would be paid unless I was successful in the position, the person sponsoring me was my friend at work, from showing me where the pop machine was to showing me how to find my files on the system. She was the one person I could ask questions of freely. She was motivated to help me. When the few months passed and she won the finder's fee, I felt she had earned it. It never occurred to me that she might share the fee with me. I had a great start at a great new job. That was my benefit.

Marilynne

At 03:50 AM 6/12/00, Carnall, Jane wrote:

/Kevin sez:
>Humph! So, the new recruit gets a new job -- either coming
>from recent unemployment, or jumping to a better situation --
>and likely gets a signing bonus (or moving expenses paid).
>The finder employee (who went out of his way to help the
>company and to help newbie improve his/her circumstances)
>gets CHARGED a percentage??!?

Er, no. The finder gets the money at the end of the set period, and no one
else is entitled to any part of it, except of course the Inland Revenue. But
at least in my old company, I noticed that often the finder DID give the
newbie half the bonus: after all, the finder and newbie presumably already
knew each other, might be friends outside work, and the finder might feel
that the extra money was as much due to the newbie's good work as to the
finder happening to be in the right place at the right time.
<snip>
Marilynne Smith
Sr. Technical Writer
QUALCOMM