winhelp or html help?

Subject: winhelp or html help?
From: Linda McCulloch-Smith <LindaM -dot- Smith -at- accumap -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 08:21:53 -0600

Hi Folks:

I am going to be writing online help for a product that currently uses
WinHelp. We are thinking of switching to HTML Help. More than 45% of our
users are running Windows 95. The number of users running Windows 98 and NT
4.0 is increasing, but only about 1% are using Windows 2000.

I tested a .chm file on this machine (Windows NT 4.0, Service Pack 6.0, IE
4.0, v. 4.72.3110.8). When I tried to open the file, I got a message saying
that I need a newer version of HHCTRL.OCX. I can fix this problem on my
machine. However, the problem got me wondering whether I should contemplate
HTML Help under these circumstances. If I have this problem, the users may
too.

Do you think it's worthwhile to switch to HTML Help? If so, what files
should I include with the .chm file that will allow all users to view the
file properly? Is it just a simple matter of conveying to the users that
they must be running the latest version of IE?

Thanks.
Linda