Re: Documentation Coding

Subject: Re: Documentation Coding
From: "Elliott C. Evans" <eeyore+ -at- cmu -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 12:54:25 -0400

Chris Jackson wrote:
> For our software documentation, we use:
> uuvv-wwxx-yyzz
> where
> uu=version number of the software product
> vv=assigned product number
> ww=assigned platform number
> xx=assigned manufacturer number
> yy=release month
> zz=release year

The problem I see with this method is that the arrangement of those
components makes the list of documents difficult to sort.

An illustration: Suppose I wanted to name a bunch of files by the
release date of the file. If I use "mm-dd-yyyy", the files will be
easy to sort by month, but difficult to actually put in chronological
order. If I use yyyy-mm-dd, the files are easily sorted into the
order of their release. The components that change with the lowest
frequency go first, the components that change most frequently go
last.

With your codes, I might use "vv-xxww-zzyy-uu" instead.

--
Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans eeyore+ -at- cmu -dot- edu