Re: Help - PDF problem, Frame6.0, Distiller4.0

Subject: Re: Help - PDF problem, Frame6.0, Distiller4.0
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 19:10:24 -0700

"Nancy C Kendall" <Nancy -dot- C -dot- Kendall -at- aexp -dot- com> wrote:

> HELP! I finally got TPTB to install Frame6.0, an upgrade from 5.5.6,
on my
> WindowsNT system. I converted a document from 5.5.6 to 6.0 without a
> problem.

> However, when I create a PDF file the screen view has fuzzy text. The
> printed version comes out fine. I never had this problem with the
5.5.6 PDFs.

(*snip*)

> I've tried manually locating the fonts used (Verdana) and placing
them in
> the directory where the Adobe Type Manager is looking, no effect.
Having a
> vague memory of something like this being discussed on this list
before, I
> tried looking in the archives, no help.

Well, first off, is Verdana a Postscript font? If it isn't, there's
probably some font substituting going on. For instance, my resume is
done in Palatino (stop snickering!), but when I make a .pdf out of it,
the font changes to ... well, actually, I haven't checked what it's
changing to.

> So far I've spent the better part of yesterday and most of this
morning
> trying to solve this problem. I give up.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

Try creating a small document in FM, using a PostScript font. Use
Distiller to create a .pdf, then check the resulting .pdf for the
fuzziness you mentioned. If it's still fuzzy, it's something with
Distiller's options. If it isn't, it's the font.

> I'm on the "Digest" so please respond directly to me at the email
address
> below. I'll post the results if anyone is interested.

I'm on Digest Mode myself, so I'm pretty sure this is a day late and a
dollar short for you ... but here it is anyway, and CC'd, too.

> Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ciao!

--gdw

> Nancy

Obligatory .sig:

CUSTOMER: "I'm no dummy, I know what I'm doing. I've got my MCSE, ya
know."
TECH: "Sir, this is the Seattle call center. Everyone here has their
MCSE. In fact, the guy next to me got his when he finished high
school."