To case or not to Case

Subject: To case or not to Case
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:26:58 +0100

While proofreading code, I came across a command written two ways in two
bits of code only a paragraph apart:

<disarmname> <fullghostname>

<disarmname> <FullGhostName> / <ArmedGhostName>

I queried this, and was told:

They are not case sensitive, but the form fullghostname is preferable.

My instinct always tends towards making things consistent. In this case,
however, I wondered if it was worthwhile leaving the commands inconsistent
and pointing out that they are case insensitive. OTOH, if the programmer
(rather inconsistently) prefers <fullghostname>...

I know the programmer: he's likely not noticed that he had inconsistencies
right next to each other if they made no difference to his code.

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Compaq, UK
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.