Re: FrameMkr question-formats

Subject: Re: FrameMkr question-formats
From: Philip Sharman <psharman -at- verity -dot- com>
To: "EXT-Frick, Geri" <Geri -dot- Frick -at- PSS -dot- Boeing -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:56:08 -0600

At 04:17 PM 00/06/20 -0700, EXT-Frick, Geri wrote:

How can I (can I) update a single format in FrameMaker? I'm not very familiar with this program, but here's what I'm trying to do. I have one document where I've changed the "tag" style (oops, format). Now I want to just open each of the other docs in the book and copy (or import) that one style to the second doc. All I can figure out how to do is to import the entire catalog of formats. Can I just bring one in? I'm usually working in Word, so I am having a hard time with FrameMaker's terminology.

If this is something you only want to do occasionally, you can just use Edit > Copy Special > Paragraph format to copy and paste the paragraph format from one document to another. (Someone else on this list has suggested using that command to create a "mini template". That will work, but you can also just copy it directly into your target document and forget templates altogether.)

After you paste the format into your new document, you may way to open the Paragraph Designer and choose "Update All" to (a) store that format in the paragraph format catalog if it isn't already there, and (b) update all instances of this format to match what you pasted.

Regards,
Philip.