RE: Ability vs Capability

Subject: RE: Ability vs Capability
From: Hal Wrobel <hwrobel -at- toptier -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 01:29:14 -0700

Since posting my previous message, quoted below, I have found the following
among the definitions for "capable" in the online American Heritage
Dictionary:

3. Having the inclination or disposition: "capable of violence."

From my previous posting:

The word "capable" can express a connotation, an ethical, moral, and/or
emotional structure in the
object it describes, that the word "able" cannot. For example, you can say
that someone is not capable of committing a certain act (such as a crime),
whereas that same person may certainly be able to do so.

The online Merriam-Webster doesn't refer to this meaning of "capable", only
to its overlap in meaning with "able".