question about recruiters (plus a little venting)

Subject: question about recruiters (plus a little venting)
From: "John Prince" <JPrince -at- e-talkcorp -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:11 -0500

I have a question about recruiters that I hope some of you can answer.

I am thinking about switching positions. I put my resume on the monsterboard.com
and am starting to think it was a BIG mistake.

I am receiving over 15 phone calls per day! That would be great, except half of
them are for contract positions. This is somewhat vexing because I put
"Full-time only (no contracts)" on my resume.

What's even more humorous is that these recruiters will try to sell you on
anything. For example, one wanted me to look into a job where "Lotus Notes
experience a must." I have never used Lotus Notes (and quite frankly have no
desire to). The recruiter went on about how "we can get around that one." Geez!
Some of these guys are worse than used car salesman. Not all - just most in my
experience.

After you tell them that you don't want to contract, they go on and on about how
contracting is better. Maybe for some it is - for a guy whose wife is about to
have their first child (and she herself is a college student) it's not. I got
somewhat offended when these recruiters tried to make me justify why I don't
want to contract.

One actually made me go through the song and dance of meeting with him, sending
my resume, etc . . . only then to tell me it was a contract position right
before the interview. Obviously I refused to go to the interview and felt like
phoning the company and inform them on his screening practices.

My question: does anyone have some savvy ways to deal with recruiters. I am
biting my lip from becoming rude with some of them - simply because I am not
used to dealing with them. How do you convey to them that you are *only* looking
for a certain salary range and you are *only* looking for full-time?

Forgive my rant - but I do feel better. ;-)

-jp

Teknekron Infoswitch is now e-talk Corporation. Visit our website at www.e-talkcorp.com.