Re: question about recruiters (plus a little venting)

Subject: Re: question about recruiters (plus a little venting)
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:35:58 -0700

John Prince wrote:

> My question: does anyone have some savvy ways to deal with recruiters. I am
> biting my lip from becoming rude with some of them - simply because I am not
> used to dealing with them. How do you convey to them that you are *only* looking
> for a certain salary range and you are *only* looking for full-time?

One of the reasons you're getting so many calls is because there is a shortage of qualified
technical writers at the moment. Another reason is because most resumes are processed by
buzzwords, and yours apparently has the right ones. But frankly, the biggest reason is that
you appear to be a warm body with some technical knowledge, and that's like fresh meat to
these big cats.

You are smart, if somewhat weary, in staying polite to these people. I've learned that, at
least in Silicon Valley, it really IS a small world and people who may have been headhunters
one month may turn up as the HR 'funnel' at a desirable place the next month. However I've
also learned that there's no stopping these folks once they think you're a desirable target.
You will probably continue to get inappropriate calls from these folks for months, even years
sometimes, once they have your resume. The good news is that you can continue to be polite
but firm, and insist on what you're after.

As to what do you say to those who insist on offering you contract work when you want
permanent, what do you say to the folks who call you at dinnertime and offer to refinance
your house so you can pay off your credit cards? "I'm not interested, thank you" and hanging
up works really well. You don't have to stay on the line and continue to argue with them
about this or that opportunity.

The good news is that the calls will tail off somewhat after about two weeks. Or at least
that's been my experience.

Hang in there!

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems