RE: Internationalization and multiple source bases

Subject: RE: Internationalization and multiple source bases
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- intl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 17:11:04 -0600

Guy writes:

> My concern is with respect to internationalization. Can translators
> into European and Asian languages handle such a pile? Instead of giving
> them
> a book file,
> a set of chapter files,
> and a graphics directory
> for each book...

8< snip >8

> Can anybody out there comment on how a translation service would handle
> this?

Hi, Guy. Yeah, it looks like a convoluted mess, but they should still be
able to manage it. Believe me, they see worse. What's important is that you
provide detailed instructions on how to work with these files (including
directory structures, file setup and all).

You note a "translation service" rather than a localization agency, and this
might make a big difference. Some translation agencies are more technically
savvy than others. Localization vendors, on the other hand, are supposed to
offer more than just translation. They should provide tools and expertise
that allows them to handle multiple file formats and conversions.

The individual translator doesn't necessarily get all of these files, and a
book may have to be split between more than one translator. This may not be
the ideal translation, but it's a business reality. Also, the translator may
be using a TM tool like Trados, so they won't be looking at Frame files, but
files that have been converted for use in the TM workbench. They'll likely
never see all of the configuration files that you provide.

The key is, know your process, and learn enough about your vendor to make
their work easier. Contact me offline if you'd like more detail.

Bill Burns
Lionbridge Design & Development
Technology Consultant
Phone: 208.321.4406