RE: Linux

Subject: RE: Linux
From: "Humbird, LenX" <lenx -dot- humbird -at- intel -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:41:27 -0700

> Dan Emory wrote:
> >
> > That's what I'd do (i.e., take my pick). The only thing I'd add is,
> > once you've chosen the pronunciation you prefer, warn all
> > Linux snobs in advance of any conversation with them that if they
> > sneer, giggle, or make faces about your pronunciation,
> > they're liable to get punched in the nose.
>
> Personally, I wait to hear how they pronounce it :-)
>
> Anyway, the REAL snobs are the ones who insist that GNOME should
> be pronounced "guh-nome-eh".

The problem with the pronunciation of the word "Linux" is a fundamental
reflection of the entire UNIX industry: there are a lot of flavors out there
and you never know who's right.

Which is it?
Lie-necks
Len-necks
Lie-newks
Lee-nucks
Lee-newks

If pronunciation of your OS is such an issue, just get a Mac. ;-)