Recruiters

Subject: Recruiters
From: kelli -dot- rogers -at- onyxgfx -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 11:22:08 -0700

I got my current position through a recruiter and I guess I was lucky. From day
one, the recruiter helped me tremendously. Because I was relocating from the
Washington DC area to Utah, I couldn't conveniently research the companies that
I was interested in. The recruiter gathered my information and all of my
questions, went to the company and got answers for me, turned in my resume, and
basically "talked me up" to the prospective employers. The recruiter was my "go
between" in setting up my telephone interview, and the in person interview
(including my flights, accomodations, etc.). He negotiated my salary for me,
made sure that the offer letter and other important paperwork was processed
promptly and thoroughly, and kept me constantly informed as to what the company
was deciding as far as hiring me. He answered every question that I had, even
if it ment doing the research and getting back to me while he was out of town on
vacation. I was quite impressed.

I have been in this position for 2 months now, and just the other day, the
recruiter called to see how it was all working out for me.

It should be noted however, that my resume said "Looking for a Technical Writing
Position in Salt Lake City, Utah" and I got 31 calls from recruiters in the
Washington DC area before I struck gold.... In each of these cases, I made a
constant effort to be polite, and immediately stress the location in which I was
interested before the recruiter went through the entire spiel--that way nobody's
time was wasted. When I reminded one recruiter of my interest in only the Salt
Lake City area, her response was "Oh, I wasn't sure if that was where you
really wanted to go."

Go figure,
Kelli