National Writers Union (NWU)

Subject: National Writers Union (NWU)
From: "Fredrick Rea O'Keefe" <fredrick -at- tech-center -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 11:46:58 -0400

I have been a member of NWU for several years because I believe in the
efficacy of collective bargaining, and the value of having resource people
to support me when I need them. So far, I haven't needed the readily
available support in such areas as contracts, legal, jobs, contract
enforcement (getting paid), copyright protection, .... But, it is available,
and for a freelancer, that's most important. This is affordable and
effective!

I did not join the union just for what I could get out of it (I'm not a
freeloader), nor solely for any job lists. I joined to take part for the
welfare of writers.

Is the NWU combative? I sure hope so, when called for in dealing with
objectionable "employers", publishers, and so-called recruiters - to protect
writers of any type, including tech-writers.

Despite the inherent problems of any organization, My overall view is that
those who don't become members of a pertinent advocacy group usually state
clearly - "I've got mine, screw those who don't, or can't, or are plain
unlucky."

Cordially,
Rick O'Keefe, Wordsmith
fredrick -at- tech-center -dot- com
Are you a freelance writer, artist or cartoonist?
Then you should be a member of the NATIONAL WRITERS UNION!
The only labor union committed to improving the economic and working
conditions of all freelance writers, artists & cartoonists. For more
information visit our web site
http://www.nwu.org , call (212) 254-0279, or email nwu -at- nwu -dot- org .