RE: Word? Framemaker?

Subject: RE: Word? Framemaker?
From: "Fisher, Melissa" <Melissa -dot- Fisher -at- delta-air -dot- com>
To: "'Y.'" <mariposa149 -at- worldspy -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:19:35 -0400

Barb -

First of all, if you want to make a good impression with your new co, make a
decision based on the best tool for the job, not on the tool you really
really want to learn because everybody else knows it.

I am no great fan of MS Word but there are compelling business reasons to
use it especially:

- in very small companies that must share files openly and frequently with
people inside and outside the company
- in very cheap companies or start-ups without a lot of cash flow
- when the documents you need to create are mostly short, use
unsophisticated design, and do not need to be printed in color

If you will be creating multi-file books, or documents of any great length,
or documents that must be highly structured, I'd be willing to bet Frame
would be the best choice. But make the choice based on the documents' and
business's needs - not on what you want to put on your resume. You will earn
more respect and credibility at your new company if you show them you are
trying to make the right choice for them.

As for learning Frame... if you decide to go with it then I would not worry
too much about the learning curve. I think it is highly overrated for anyone
who has ever used more than one piece of software to do the same tasks,
whether word processing, graphics, spreadsheets, etc. The fact is, different
programs have different methods of performing the same tasks. You will
figure out Frame, and unless you are concerned about the stress of learning
a new job, a new product line, a new company, and a new word processor,
(which is not to say that you shouldn't be concerned - it's a lot of new
stuff all at once) I wouldn't worry about it.

If you choose to stick with Word for a while, then switch to Frame, check
the archives as I am sure there is good information in there about how to
prepare your documents to be converted.

Good luck with your new job!
Melissa Fisher
melissa -dot- fisher -at- delta-air -dot- com
(404) 773-8674