Michele's take on Recruiters (Michele takes on Recruiters)

Subject: Michele's take on Recruiters (Michele takes on Recruiters)
From: "Sarah Bane" <Sarah -dot- Bane -at- ProphetLine -dot- Com>
To: "techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, <mdavis -at- bitstream -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:00:09 -0500

Michele asks, <<When is voicing an opinion, whether or not it's calling
someone greedy
(based on past experiences with said person) suddenly libelous?>>

There's nothing sudden about it. Stating in a private conversation that an
individual is <<a greedy, pain-in-the-arse>> is not libelous. Making the
same statement publicly (as on a listserv with numerous subscribers) is.
(Information found in any basic book on torts.)

Truth is an absolute defense in libel cases (also in basic books on torts);
however, it would be difficult to prove the truth of such a subjective
statement as "X is a pain-in-the-arse."

Why, one asks, would Michele even consider taking a contract through this
recruiter? <<My problem is I've always done such a good job for my clients,
I haven't wanted for new contracts, unfortunately I get bored working for
the same people,>>

It is always reassuring to hear about a good writer's being in constant
demand. Nevertheless, although I like both my jobs (haven't been at the day
job long enough to get bored), I have to wonder if Michele stated this
"problem" just to make the rest of us jealous. But that's just my opinion.

Sarah Bane
Technical Writer, ProphetLine, Inc.
and Adjunct Instructor, Westark College
sarah -dot- bane -at- prophetline -dot- com
sbane -at- systema -dot- westark -dot- edu

Opinions expressed are my own and not endorsed by ProphetLine or by Westark.