RE: National Writer's Union (way too long)

Subject: RE: National Writer's Union (way too long)
From: "Jason A. Czekalski" <topsidefarm -at- mva -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L digest <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 16:15:37 -0700

Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

<< I got some really "supportive" private email about my crack against
the
National Writer's Union (NWU)

So naturally - I'll pontificate: >>

Now this is scary: I find myself in almost total agreement with Andrew.
I have only one rather small disagreement with this post, and it is
probably more a matter of interpretation.

<< 1. The high-tech industry has wholly rejected the notion of
unionization. The
rapid evolution of technologies and dependence on highly-skilled,
professionals
makes unions totally unattractive to technology companies. The
government has
mostly sided with the technology companies on this issue. >>

What the tech companies and the government have wanted or done is
irrelavant in the union/right-to-work clash. As a former union worker
(ten years as a QC Inspector for Genital Electric), I see it as being a
case of what the workers want.

The highly skilled professionals of today don't need or want union
protection. That is why so many of us now refuse to work in a union
environment.Yes, unions exist for legitimate reasons. They are a sign of
gross management failure. A successful unionization drive is always the
company's fault (I hate broad generalizations, but I'll stand by this
one). It is never the fault of the workers when a company goes union.
Those workers are just fighting for respect.

The realization I finally came to, like so many others, is why should I
waste my time and effort working for a company that will not respect me
as an individual? There are too many companies out there that do value
their people, and the very, very few of them are union.That is why I
made a vow when I left my position at GE that I would never again work
in a union environment unless it my kids were starving and the house was
up for foreclosure. So far it's been 3 1/2 years and I haven't even come
close to those exceptions.

In the end, "The Workers Organizations" have been killed by the workers
themselves.

Jason