Re: Star Office

Subject: Re: Star Office
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 14:56:06 -0700

Jeff Hanvey <jewahe -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> --- Mark Dempsey <dempseys3 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

>> I'm wondering whether anyone's been using Sun's Star
>> Office (old or recent release), particularly as
>> their word processor.
>
> First the disclaimer: I never used the program for
> more than basic word processing - and really for
> nothing longer than short notes or memos - so I really
> can't discuss the functionality of it (how it handles
> graphics, how good the macros are, et cetera).

(*snip*)

> I would also be interested in hearing what others
> would have to say.

Well--! In the "careful what you wish for" department ....

I found a copy of Star Office (not sure which version) on a computer I
was using for a class, and started the program.

Didn't get a chance to really play with it, but ... let's just say
these guys aren't likely to win any awards for their GUI.
Non-standard menus, less-than-intuitive ... yuck.

This could be because I'm used to The Macintosh Way(tm) -- which even
Windows-folk are adopting, though most don't know it, but that
interface was ... disturbing. It looked like it would be difficult to
work with.

My $.000075 ....

--gdw

> =====
> Jeff Hanvey

Obligatory .sig:

"You know you're getting old when the candles cost more than the cake."
--Bob Hope