Re: Re:National Writer's Union (way too long)

Subject: Re: Re:National Writer's Union (way too long)
From: "Sella Rush" <sellar -at- mail -dot- apptechsys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 19:29:51 -0700

> >I am all for any group that encourages people to work independently. But
the
> >NWU wants to make the contracting and consulting process an "us-vs-them"
class
> >struggle. This notion is simply absurd in today's global, (nearly) free
> >marketplace. The NWU is trying to apply 1960s era liberalism to 21st
century
> >era libertarianism. It is a joke to even try.
<<snip>>
>I wouldn't want to accept the idea wholeheartedly, but what's so
>hard to accept about the idea that workers in high-tech might
>have different interests than their bosses? If companies could be
>counted on to always act in the best interest of their employees,
>then attempts to organize workers - no matter how misguided they
>might or might not be - would never happen.

The idea that the relationship between employer and employee is based on
*class* is an outmoded 19th/20th century concept.

It is an inherently adversarial relationship. It is us-vs.-them, and always
will be, because that's what capitalism is. Entities, whether they be
corporations or organized groups of people with a similar interest, will
always negotiate for their own best interest, *to the detriment* of anyone
else.

These days, the employee is responsible for managing their own life, their
own career, and their own relationship with their employer. Companies band
together to consolidate power and improve their situation. Why shouldn't
individuals?

Sella Rush
mailto:sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com
Applied Technical Systems (ATS)