RE: 1099 -- What to ask?

Subject: RE: 1099 -- What to ask?
From: Stephen -dot- MacDonald -at- Aspect -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 11:33:22 -0400

Humbird, LenX wrote:

> I have seen a pattern among some employees on a project: they seem to
enjoy
> a degree of anonymity. Many of them don't care for recognition or to stand
> out. (Perhaps they don't stand out, or their flaws would show if someone
> actually gave them something truly important to do.) But this is just a
> casual observation. And the same could hold just as true for contractors:
> when a contract ends, they disappear.

A "casual observation" of my own of this "debate" re: NWU, contractors,
freelancers, etc. is that quite a number of the participants choose to use
demeaning descriptions of us full-time employees, that is, "wage serfs",
etc. I guess we must appear to be a fawning, servile bunch.

Own and consume only the really necessary things and you'll find all the
freedom you can handle. You won't have to worry about whether the agency or
client is screwing you out of a few bucks, but if you just have to have the
biggest house, the newest car, four cell phones, a beeper, and a wallet full
of credit cards, then I guess a few bucks matters.

No cell phone, no beeper, no new car, no big house, 1 credit card with no
balance, and money in the bank: Freedom and independence having nothing to
do with how you earn your money.

Steve MacDonald
Aspect Communications, Inc.