SMEs and me

Subject: SMEs and me
From: "Sierra Godfrey" <kittenbreath -at- hotbot -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 10:35:09 -0700

Hello,

A few questions:

How often do SMEs give you their write-up of a manual, or at least the information, before you start on your work? Would you say that this is a common thing to happen?

If you do have experience with SMEs giving you their information in what they think is a manual (or other output) format, how much liberty do you take to change it into readable and digestible information (what we all are trained to do as technical writers)?

This goes back to an earlier post about the engineer here infecting my mind with his propaganda. I ask the questions above because I'm catching a lot of flack now from him for formatting his information (with much addition of my own research) into a user manual, different from the way he originally wrote it. He didn't want anything changed.

And while we're at it, how often do you have the problem of just being about to send the manual off to the printer and then being told you can't because there are so many changs to be made suddenly by the SME? What do you do other than stress out?

HotBot - Search smarter.
http://www.hotbot.com