RE: HTML Help for UNIX users

Subject: RE: HTML Help for UNIX users
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "Moshe Kruger" <kruger -at- ParadigmGeo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 07:53:44 -0700

Moshe Kruger wrote:

| HTML Help is a very attractive, easily manageable solution for me. The
| only problem is that I create online docs for display in UNIX (and not
| Windows 98 or later, which is the native platform for HTML Help).
|
| I tried using the Java applet provided with MS HTML Help Toolkit, but
| have not been able to make it work.
|
| Does anybody have a WORKABLE solution?

Unfortunately, you just can't use true HTML Help on UNIX. The Java applet
*can* be made to work. However, under the best case scenario, it takes 500%
longer to load than the ActiveX control used on the Wintel platform and
supports only a small subset of what we've come to think of as HTML Help
functionality. If you need to create online Help for UNIX systems, I'm
afraid you'll have to look elsewhere. Possibilities include WebHelp from
eHelp Corp., WebWorks Help from Quadralay Corp., InterHelp from ForeFront,
and of course plain ol' HTML.

HTH ..

D.

David Knopf
Knopf Online
Tel: 415.550.8367
E-mail: mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com
Web: http://www.knopf.com

Certified RoboHELP Instructor & Consultant
RoboHELP Community Advisory Board

WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer