RE: Microsoft Access Problems

Subject: RE: Microsoft Access Problems
From: "John Locke" <mail -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 08:24:56 -0700

Jazzmyne needs a way to filter through multiple items in a single Access
2000 field:

> Because many of the people
> have multiple project and thus multiple items in the project
> field, I have
> not been able to get the program to filter through the entire field. It
> will only bring up those people who only have that one item listed in the
> project box, and only if I put the exact name that is in the field in the
> filter. For example, if I enter Project 1, it only brings up
> those people
> who have exactly Project 1, but I need it to also bring up those
> people who
> are Project 1 Lead. Are you starting to see my problem?? If you know of

<snip>

Two ways:

1) build the database with the projects in one table, the people in another,
and a link table in between to provide your many to many relationship. This
is the best way to use relational databases in general--you can build forms
and queries that will show you exactly what you want to see.

However, I suspect you're looking for a quicker way, for now.

2) Use an advanced filter (Records Menu, Filter -> Advanced Filter/Sort).
Drag the field you want to filter down to one of the empty columns. Then, in
the criteria row, type:

Like "*Project 1*"

or equivalent. The asterisks are wild cards representing zero to many
unknown characters. The Like operator allows you to use the * or ? wildcards
(? represents one and only one unknown character).

This solution works assuming you're listing all the projects in a single
field in the database (not a good practice).

Cheers,
John Locke
http://www.freelock.com