Re: SMEs

Subject: Re: SMEs
From: "Dan Roberts" <droberts63 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 12:10:24 -0400

>--- Sierra Godfrey <kittenbreath -at- hotbot -dot- com> wrote:
>>
>> I think the best thing to do for me is to institute a better plan.
>> This cannot be a black and white thing, because you almost have to tailor the
>> plan according to the SME. If it's a good SME who gets reviews in on time,
>> then less strict of a review plan can be used. But with this guy, clearly I
>> have to use all sorts of methods, like freeze dates.

I've been keeping up with this thread somewhat haphazardly, so I might have
missed something. But...

I get the sense that you're kinda dropping review drafts on the SMEs desk,
willynilly, w/o a schedule of draft production, perhaps w/o coordinating your
draft production with the SW development cycle?

Sure, you have to tailor your plan, but probably not according to the SME, but
to milestones in the development process. For example: deliver srafts for
component level testing, system testing, release to QA, beta release, etc. (of
course, I'm assuming that the development cycle is this advanced, and not simply
fly-by-night coding). If your SME is going to be silly enough to take a month
off, with his own project milestones looming ahead, you've got more serious
problems than just having a recalcitrant SME.