Productivity (of Technical Writers)

Subject: Productivity (of Technical Writers)
From: Michael Andrew Uhl <uhl -dot- mike -at- epamail -dot- epa -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L, (Tech Writers)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 19:14:41 -0400

I've been in this business now for about thirteen years and I can say
with great confidence that my productivity as a technical writer has
improved as a direct result of my applying new technologies.

Moving from a IBM Selectric typewriter to an electronic publishing
system was a major leap. Company intranets that provide phone numbers,
org charts, and office locations save me a lot of time.

In a recent job search, my wife used the World Wide Web and performed
the most efficient, effective job search ever in her career.

I cannot understand how anyone can deny that modern technologies, such
as computers, cell phones, voice mail systems, and the Web have made us
more efficient...crazier and more burned out than ever perhaps, but
definitely producing more labor output per unit of time.

Cheers.

-Mike

--
Michael Andrew Uhl (mailto:uhl -dot- mike -at- epa -dot- gov)
Lockheed Martin - U.S. EPA Scientific Visualization Center