Re: connect verb?

Subject: Re: connect verb?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Gil Yaker <gyaker -at- mci -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 11:52:46 -0700 (PDT)

> For instance: Gil Yaker connects to his ISP with a 56k analog
> modem. BLECH

Gil Yaker uses a 56k analog modem to connect to his ISP.
or
Use a 56k analog modem to connect to your ISP.

> Well what's really bad now is that I have to write about more
> industrial
> connections. So here's a typical sentence:
> Univerity of Anywhere uses a DS-3 connection to access the vBNS+
> network
> backbone.
> I mean I just can't get over how weak that sounds.

Nothing weak about it. What aspect is missing that is preventing
theperson from doing what they need to do?

> country! I'm just getting frustrated that all the wordings in the
> dox I'm
> writing do not shine, err if you know what I mean.

You don't want your words to shine. You don't want your words to be
obvious. In a sense, you want them to attract as little attention as
possible. Would you rather have the user say to himself "Gosh...what
great words! er...what was I doing?

The words should NOT call attention to themselves. The attention
should be that when the user is finished, the 56k connection is
working.

Don't confuse real paying work with STC Competition stuff.

=====
John Posada
Technical Writer
mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com
732-259-2874

Only in America... do they have drive-up ATM machines
with Braille lettering

http://mail.yahoo.com/