Re: naming conventions for images

Subject: Re: naming conventions for images
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:10:21 -0700

Jeff Hanvey <jewahe -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> Disagree. The file names should be as short as
> possible. If they're ever used on a Unix machine, for
> example, they are limited to the 8.3 convention. Also,
> if they ever go on line, spaces are not permitted
> either.

Ok, I'm confused. I work in a UNIX environment and
don't have an 8.3 limitation. What UNIX are you
using that you're restricted?

> The conventional way to name figures (and tables) is
> numerically by chapter.
>
> Table 1-1 is the first table in chapter 1.
> Figure 99-44 is the 44th figure in chapter 99.
>
> This naming convention makes it easy to ensure that
> you're sending all the images to the printer (just a
> quick count does the trick).

[snip]

> Another possible naming convention is to use the page
> number the image appears on (if it's known).
>
> For example, 432_1.bmp is the first bitmap on page
> 432. You could also use 432top.bmp, 432toprt.bmp, and
> 432botrt.bmp.

I strongly recommend that you *not* name your
figures with either page numbers or chapter
numbers. If figures are added to or subtracted
from the chapter, or page layouts shift, you'll
be in trouble. And the name also gives no indication
of what's *in* the figure - you'll have to keep
opening it to remind yourself what it is, or
have to refer back to a printed or online copy
of the book.

Try to give your figures names that relate to their
contents. If you want consistency, use men_ as the
beginning for menu images, box_ for dialog boxes,
but_ for buttons, or some similar scheme.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html