Re: naming conventions for images

Subject: Re: naming conventions for images
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 13:51:23 -0700

Kimber Miller <kimber_miller -at- acs-inc -dot- com> wrote:

>I believe I'm going to hybridize the approach of grouping by UI function (menu,
>shortcut menu, window name) and a numbering scheme. I'm not going to worry
>about very short file names, but I will be restrictive.

A late addition (I get the digest, and just got back from a road
trip):

Don't forget the use of sub-directories in organizing. If you use
a sub-directory for UI functions, then naming individual graphics
becomes easier. I've used this method on a project with over 600
graphics, and it works well.

However, for some reason, may Windows and Mac users rarely think
of deepening the directory structure. Maybe deep directories are
more likely to be considered when you're on a UNIX or Linux
machine, and your files are stored in something like
"/home/bbyfield/bigcompany's_project" to start with.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"At the sick bed of Cuhullain,
We'll kneel and say a prayer,
When the ghosts are rattling at the door
And the devil's in the chair."
- The Pogues