RE: Tool question: Documentum vs. MS Visual SourceSafe

Subject: RE: Tool question: Documentum vs. MS Visual SourceSafe
From: "MacLemale, Laura A. (LNG-MBC)" <Laura -dot- A -dot- MacLemale -at- bender -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 15:27:12 -0400

Hello:

I searched the archives a bit this afternoon, but I found more questions
than concrete answers on Documentum.

We are looking into using either Documentum of Visual SourceSafe (VSS) as a
means of documentation control. Currently, our developers recently started
storing our online help files in VSS, and other groups in the company use
Documentum for data and/or document control. Therefore, we have access to
both programs.

For us, it's just a matter of determining which program would be more
suitable for safeguarding all of our documentation: manuals, online help,
online tutorials, etc.

The questions (for those of you who are familiar with either or both of
these programs):

--Does either program have a particularly steep learning curve? (I've just
started with VSS; have never used Documentum.)
--Are there any major considerations that we should make while evaluating
these options?
--Are both programs capable of maintaining all types of documentation?
(i.e., DTP docs, compiled help files, executables, etc.?)

And,

--Would any of you emphatically recommend one program over the other? For
what reason(s)?

Any of your comments, suggestions, or advice would be appreciated! I plan to
share the information with my group.

Please respond to me directly at Laura -dot- A -dot- MacLemale -at- bender -dot- com (or cc me) as
I'm on digest. I will post a summary to the list.

Regards,

Laura A. MacLemale
Technical Communications Coordinator
Matthew Bender, part of LEXIS Publishing
1275 Broadway
Albany, NY 12204
Phone (518) 487-3465
Fax (518) 487-3681
Laura -dot- A -dot- MacLemale -at- bender -dot- com