Re: Productivity Metrics

Subject: Re: Productivity Metrics
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "George F. Hayhoe" <george -at- ghayhoe -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 16:49:25 -0400

"George F. Hayhoe" wrote:

> Andrew Plato said
>
> <<Cold, hard cash in huge bags with dollar signs on them. That is the
> ultimate measure of productivity.>>
>
> Yes, profitability is the ultimate measure of productivity. The more
> product the company produces and sells and the fewer resources it
> requires to do that, the more profitable and productive the company
> is. The difficult thing is to convince management that you and your
> organization have contributed to the bottom line--and how much you
> have contributed.
>
> That's why meaningful productivity metrics are important.

The key word here is "meaningful." All too often productivity metrics
becomes a meaningful game, that can be easily played and abused by
management and the employee. Professionalism should never be black or
white. Metrics are no substitute for rational human analysis of
activities. All should be grateful that we are unable to reduce
professional activities to some form of machine like activity.

--
Peter

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a
minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute-and it's
longer than any hour. That's relativity," - Einstein-