Re: Immigration to Canada

Subject: Re: Immigration to Canada
From: Elizabeth Ross <beth -at- vcubed -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 10:57:17 -0400

Hi Sona,

I emigrated to Canada from the U.S., officially in 1996. (I was just a
visitor before that.) I found a firm that was willing to deal with the
paperwork required in getting a work permit. They had an in-house lawyer and
a contract with an immigration lawyer, so it didn't cost me anything, *But*
I was already living here (albeit illegally--ah, love). They did pay their
attorney to handle my landed immigrant paperwork for me.

That said, I know this company sponsored a TW from the States to Canada,
moving expenses and all. It did not work out, so they are somewhat leery of
doing that again. A consultancy firm might be able to bridge the gap. I have
a few questions though:

1. How much will it cost you?
2. Have you been to Canada? It really is a different country, even though
the majority of places speak English as a primary language. The TW who moved
here from Texas left in less than a year--he and his wife had difficulty
establishing credit to buy a house. But mortgage interest isn't deductible
here, so renting is not an awful option. In Toronto, however, the housing
market is tight (less than 2% vacancy rate), the pay scale is lower than in
the States, and the outright taxes are higher. Medical costs are much lower.
(When's the last time you paid $25 Cdn for an office visit? And that's with
no insurance coverage whatsoever.) And, to me, the quality of life is vastly
superior to the U.S. (I've lived in Detroit, Washington D.C., Tampa, and
Upstate New York). I'm looking forward to becoming a Canadian citizen soon.
I've visited Vancouver and Montreal, but have little experience in those
towns. I would want to spend more time there before I decided to move there.

Just some thoughts. Feel free to e-mail me off-list if you wish to discuss
things in more detail.

Cheers!
--
Elizabeth Ross
Senior Technical Writer, V3 Semiconductor Corp.