re: Re: Summary: Are Redirects Annoying? RANT

Subject: re: Re: Summary: Are Redirects Annoying? RANT
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 08:30:13 -0700 (PDT)

> This is usually not true. Usually when redirection occurs it puts
> the user in an endless loop

(disclaimer...I'm on 4 hours sleep (saw Roger Waters last night) and
on too much coffee...nothing in this is meant personally)

But...life is full of small inconveniences and nothing is acceptable
to everyone under every situation.

Sorry to sound so callous, but I'm seeing more and more instances
where getting something out there with great benefit is stifled
because under conditions where someone doesn't know how to handle
these issues (it took me 3 minutes the first time this loop happened
to me to "get" that if you click the Back button twice, quickly, you
usually go right past this redirect.)

Wonder why those in our (and related) business don't make deadlines?
Because too many of us are spending way too much time pondering
weighty issues such as:

- Whether we should put a dash after an e in email or ecommerce (or
is e-commerce)

-Why someone who owns a site is the villain du jour because he chose
to only want ie5 visitors (so what...it's his site and he didn't
invite us..we barged in...how would you like someone to you don't
know to walk in to your kitchen and criticize you because they don't
like your kitchen paint color), or

-That a web site needs to be redesigned because someone didn't know
that a gray rectangular button should be clicked.

I'm in the Microsoft camp on this...get the first version out there
with imperfections, then fix on subsequent releases...IN MOST
CASES**, in use with some "flaws" is way better than unreleased every
time...chances are that what is out there quickly will benefit way
more than not.

**, yeah, yeah, I also know of example where this is not the case,
NASA, Nuclear, Air Transportation, Medical, etc.

--- "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov> wrote:
> re: The visitor doesn't even know they were redirected.
>
> This is usually not true. Usually when redirection occurs it puts
> the user
> in an endless loop when they click their Back button. They go back
> to just
> get redirected again. Of course when this happens you should click
> the
> arrow on your back button (IE) or click the Go button (NS) and go
> back two
> items.
>
> If there is a way the page designer can prevent this endless loop
> situation,
> I'd like to hear about it.

=====
John Posada
Technical Writer
mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com
732-259-2874

Only in America... do they have drive-up ATM machines
with Braille lettering

http://mail.yahoo.com/