re: Re: Summary: Are Redirects Annoying? RANT

Subject: re: Re: Summary: Are Redirects Annoying? RANT
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:58:28 -0400

At 08:30 AM 7/14/2000 -0700, John Posada wrote:

Sorry to sound so callous, but I'm seeing more and more instances
where getting something out there with great benefit is stifled
because under conditions where someone doesn't know how to handle
these issues (it took me 3 minutes the first time this loop happened
to me to "get" that if you click the Back button twice, quickly, you
usually go right past this redirect.)

I have to disagree here. This isn't a trivial case of using a hyphen in e-mail, or how to force colleagues to respect our work. This is a usability issue. You may have figured it out in three minutes (which is longer than most people look at a web page, much less fiddle with it trying to get it to work right), but when I encounter a page that won't let me do what I want, I close it. You don't just irritate people when you have persistent redirects; you lose them.

I'd recommend finding a way around this problem, or avoid redirects altogether.

----->Mike