Re: EPS technical discussion (was Re: The perfect screenshot)

Subject: Re: EPS technical discussion (was Re: The perfect screenshot)
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 12:34:44 -0600

> I used to think EPS applied only to vector images. However, I was recently
> corrected by a graphics guru who insisted *any* graphics format can benefit
> from the PostScript wrapper provided by EPS. Thus, bitmaps can be converted
> to EPS. This information was new to me.
>
> Anyone care to comment?

It probably depends on how you define "benefit". If Postscript
commands to draw individual dots are better for the purpose than
a bitmap format that simply identifies where and what color
dots are, it's probably a benefit. That said (and this is the
crux of the issue) no Save As/Print to command will magically
convert an inherently pixel-oriented format to a vector format
complete with objects that _are_ vector-based. That conversion
requires time, effort, and the "Trace outline" type commands
from the vector drawing package of your choice.

Eric