Re: Tech writing situation

Subject: Re: Tech writing situation
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <markl -at- gilian -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 14:34:03 +0200

Good luck, Emily.

Sounds as if the guy who needs a "learning experience"
is not the New Marketing Guy but the boss. Give the
boss the necessary experience by letting NMG fall
on his face, and you will (a) leave poor NMG in a spot
of trouble that he doesn't deserve, (b) allow the
company to be stuck with a bad document, and possibly
(c) find that the boss doesn't learn from the experience
anyway. If the boss got this far without catching on,
is the boss going to change now?

As the old saying has it, there's no limit to what you
can accomplish if you don't care who gets the credit.
Want to save the company, help NMG, and leave the boss
self-satisfied by doing all NMG's work for him even though
NMG is ostensibly managing the project? That's one solution,
but I didn't notice the abbreviation "St." before your name.

I wish I could agree with John Posada that you will get
the credit you deserve, but it seems to me more likely--
given the boss's preconceptions-- that the credit
will go to NMG, and to the boss himself for allocating
the work wisely.

I used to believe that the best revenge at work was simply
to outlast the schmucks. They do find themselves pushed
out eventually. But in today's market (if New Zealand is
like other places) there's often the option of finding a
better job instead...

MarkL -at- Gilian -dot- com
Mark L. Levinson
Herzlia, Israel