RE: Tech writing situation

Subject: RE: Tech writing situation
From: rebecca rachmany <rebecca -at- COMMERCEMIND -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 08:44:01 +0200

One of the essentials of getting credit is to put things in writing. You
could write an outline or GANTT with the various steps that need to be done,
and the amount of time predicted to do them, and send it to the NMG and the
CEO. The NMG would be expected to fill in what parts he thinks he will be
doing and what parts you will be doing. You aren't making any accusations
here, you are just doing everybody a favor by getting the project organized
and writing up a proposed schedule. It confirms with your boss what
specifically what he wants you to do, and it displays clearly who is
actually doing the work. Keep everything documented as the project goes
along, including how much time you are putting into it, and send regular
"progress reports" to the boss, telling him what parts you did or what parts
you got from NMG.

As long as you consistently "announce" what you are doing in a
non-causational way, you will probably end up getting the credit you
deserve. (If you don't get the credit you deserve, you have several
alternatives. One is to go explicitly to your boss and ask for a
raise/promotion, and the other is to look elsewhere. Make sure that you put
your "marketing" experience on your resume. Even if you don't get credit
from someone else, you can give it to yourself when job hunting.)

Rebecca Rachmany
Commercemind
PO Box 920, Kfar Saba 44109
972-9-7642000 x217