RE: Help with job description, please..

Subject: RE: Help with job description, please..
From: "RUBOTTOM, AL" <ARUBOTTOM -at- SENSORMATIC -dot- COM>
To: 'Diana Barnum' <dbarnum -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:59:28 -0700

Diana,

Configuration Management is a big part of the SW development industry.
There's much info, tools, time energy & money spent on it, organizations &
institutes devoted to it, entire levels of management expertise dedicated to
it,,, so it's central to big-time [as opposed to small shop] corporate SW
dev.

SW config. mgmt has to do with how SW gets developed in a complex SW_dev
environment, typically with a team or multiple teams of programmers who code
a large SW project in parts and integrate these parts into its final form --
a working software application. Version control, platform issues, SW
maintenance, and so on, all play a part in SW dev and in config mgmt.

If you've never worked in SW development, this job would be a major
challenge. Yes, this write-up is unclear, but it says they want someone who
understands, i.e. has experience with software development & config. mgmt.

Here are some config mgmt links:

A definition from
http://www.iac.honeywell.com/Pub/Tech/CM/CMFAQ.html

[1.2] What is Configuration Management (CM)?
There are a number of different interpretations. For purposes of
this newsgroup, we are talking about tracking and control of software
development and its activities. That is, the mangement of software
development projects with respect to issues such as multiple developers
working on the same code at the same time, targetting multiple platforms,
supporting multiple versions, and controlling the status of code (for
example beta test versus real release). Even within that scope there are
different schools of thought:
* Traditional Configuration Management - checkin/checkout control of
sources (and sometimes binaries) and the ability to perform builds (or
compiles) of the entities. Other functions may be included as well.
* Process Management - control of the software development activities.
For example, it might check to ensure that a change request existed and had
been approved for fixing and that the associated design, documentation, and
review activities have been completed before allowing the code to be
"checked in" again.
While process management and control are necessary for a repeatable,
optimized development process, a solid configuration management foundation
for that process is essential.

A resource list for SW Config Mgmt:
http://wwwsel.iit.nrc.ca/favs/CMfavs.html

check out The Institute of Config Mgmt:
http://www.icmhq.com/

see this site for LOT of info on config. mgmt:
http://www.enteract.com/~bradapp/links/scm-links.html

see the CMToday site for info related to jobs in config. mgmt:
http://www.cmtoday.com/

see this site for links to SW project mgmt & config. mgmt issues:
http://www.comp.glam.ac.uk/pages/staff/dwfarthi/projman.htm