Configuration Manager

Subject: Configuration Manager
From: Judy Silvasi-Patchin <jspatchi -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: dbarnum -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 12:33:55 -0700

Hi Diana and Tom

A software configuration manager works with an application such as Clear Case, RTF, Source Safe or application that is used to make sure that the code is controlled during development and release. This is similar to the configuration management of documents, but the similarity ends there. The Software configuration management application has to be set up to facilitate the flavor of software development process used by the company. This includes how to set up "branches" for development, testing and release. There is usually a bug tracking facility built in or managed in this application as well. Build and compilation policies have to be set up and implemented. And these are just a few of the issues. I am by no means an expert.

The software development cycle is the process by which software developers Architect, design, create, build, test, and release code.
Hope this helps.
Judy

--- Diana Barnum <dbarnum -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com> wrote:
> Hi,
> A local company familiar with my writing background, asked if I'd be
> interested in this job:
>
> Automating the Software Configuration Management process for a major
> insurance provider. We need process and detail oriented people who
> understand the Software Development Cycle.
>
> Anyone familiar with this? Is it writing the process in a lay-person's
> manual?

If I had to base my sole decision on those two sentences, I would not say it
was a writing job. I would say they are writing code to automate what is a
manual, or partly manual, configuration management process, and they plan to
follow some sort of a process that they choose to call a Software Development
Cycle.

Now it would make sense that if they are creating software that they would need
an array of documentation to go with it. I would ask this company that is
familiar with your writing background if writing the documentation is why they
showed this to you or if they're wondering if you want to get into the coding
side (or even project management or requirements or whoknowswhat).

I think you need to ask for clarification on this one. I wouldn't reject it or
accept it without more information.

=====
Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer