RE: Illustrator to Illustrator eps

Subject: RE: Illustrator to Illustrator eps
From: "walden miller" <wmiller -at- vidiom -dot- com>
To: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 16:53:46 -0600

> Walden,
>
> Illustrator is a vector graphics program that saves vector-based EPS.
> PhotoShop is a raster graphics program. It saves raster images and can
> put an EPS wrapper around them. When PhotoShop opens an AI (vector)
> file, it converts it to a raster image for manipulation in PhotoShop
> before it does anything else. All vector information is lost.
>
> Dick

Dick,
I understand the vector/raster difference, but the point of using EPS vs. AI
formats may be the issue. The only advantage I can see of using eps is to
send to a printer (perhaps embedded in another app, like frame). I would
probably want to keep all the source files in .ai format for archival
purposes. When sending eps to a printer, it may not matter whether I am
sending raster or vector eps given the specific print job.

Debabelizer ( or a debabelizer plug-in )might support ai format and give you
some eps output type that is useful. I haven't used debabelizer in a few
years, so I don't know.

just trying to help,
walden