Re: This list mirrors real life

Subject: Re: This list mirrors real life
From: Vickie Camgros <vcamgros -at- persistence -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 10:47:54 -0700

<delurk>It's interesting, too, how often a list's (or news group's) populace will be labeled "unfriendly" or "unhelpful" if someone replies to such a newbie question with the URL of a resource that will answer the question (and many similar ones).

With the intention of teaching a man how to fish, I've done this on occasion, only to get flamed. Sometimes I think that some people just want it handed to them, rather than actually doing their own work.
</delurk>

The message I saw was that if more people would look up the concrete
answers in life, there would be more time and less noise obscuring the
"different points of view" that the Techwr-l list offers. I think John's
original point (and he can jump in to correct me if not) in posting the
article is that we waste time answering, over and over again, the answers
that are easily available. That takes away from time discussing the
questions in tech. writing that are open to opinion.

In other words, if the lazy people would get off their duffs, they'd stop
interrupting us while we contemplate our craft.

----->Mike