RE: "not technical enough"

Subject: RE: "not technical enough"
From: "Fisher, Melissa" <Melissa -dot- Fisher -at- delta-air -dot- com>
To: "'Evans, Amy M.'" <AEvans -at- wcom -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 11:01:44 -0400

Hi Amy -

As a former English major and current tech writer in the computer industry,
here is my advice.

If you have been working as a tech writer for the two years since you
graduated, then I personally don't believe any further education in
technical writing will serve you any better than an equal amount of
experience. Do you want to pursue tech writing academically? If so, go for
it! If you think you only want some kind of credentials, lemme tell you
it's not only overrated, it's unnecessary. Experience is the best
credential.

As to the IS/CS degree, that would be a matter of preference to you. Do you
want to learn programming? Do you want to know more about computers? Do you
think you might be more interested in a computing career path than tech
writing? There is a possibility that having an IT degree can make you appear
overqualified for plenty of interesting writing jobs.

It is true, IME, that the more high-tech your skills are, the more
marketable you will be and the more money you will make. It is also true
(again IME) that the broader your tech writing experience is, the more
marketable you will be and the more money you will make. Whatever you do,
you will want to stay on top of the technology of whatever field you are in.
Bear in mind though you may someday want to switch fields.

YMMV. This is my own personal opinion based on my own experience. But I
don't think my experience is *that* atypical.

Melissa Fisher
melissa -dot- fisher -at- delta-air -dot- com
(404) 773-8674