Re: "not technical enough"

Subject: Re: "not technical enough"
From: "Sierra Godfrey" <kittenbreath -at- hotbot -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 15:43:28 -0700

Bruce Byfield wrote:

>If you're hearing this comment repeatedly, you might want to
>consider whether you're applying for the right sort of job.

Yes, clearly.

I applied for a web supporting job, back before I started in technical writing, with a large company in the Bay Area. My cousin worked there as a programmer, and so I had an in with them. The in-house recruiter was very nice to me. I interviewed for the job, and thought it went very well. But it didn't. The recruiter, Susan we'll call her, didn't tell me exactly what it was, although I know it was because I didn't interview very well. Anyway, Susan took an extra step to tell me that they had hired a guy who had a lot more experience than I did for the position (fair enough), and that my resume was very much geared towards a writing position. I thought she was crazy and told her that I had written it for a technical web position. No, she said, it was definately the resume of someone who was a writer.

Thus, I looked into technical writing and am happy and well-paid today.

The moral--listen to how people respond at jobs and especially check how you're coming across. In retrospect, thinking about the materials I presented and what I said at the interview, heck yeah it was geared towards writing, and I didn't even know it!

HotBot - Search smarter.
http://www.hotbot.com