Word 97 problems

Subject: Word 97 problems
From: "Cathy De Rubeis" <de_rubeis -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 21:18:43 GMT

Hi,

I have been hovering for the past 3 weeks and have been dazzled by the depth/scope of knowledge in this group. I need some of that knowledge in trying to resolve a few persistent Word problems I have been having.

My first Word problem involves inserting Visio drawings. I copied the drawing from the first draft of a Hardware Installation Guide and pasted it into the updated version of the Guide. It pasted into the document fine, it saved alright but after I closed it and reopened the document the Visio drawings were replaced by big red "X"s.

My second Word problem involves setting styles that include bullets and numbering. I created a comprehensive list of styles before beginning the new version of the above Guide. However, in creating my "procedure" style, when I added the numbering to the style setup, I would lose my margin settings. I tried setting the numbering and then changing the margins. This seemed to work until I reopened the document and found strange numbering/margins occurring.

Third problem is my numbering is all over the place. It continues where it should restart and vice versa. Again, I set the renumbering in the different sections, looked created, saved and reopened to find a nightmarish hodgepodge of numbering. My document is 1.97 MB - I don't think it's too large or is it? Is there a way to have numbering restart automatically when a certain heading is selected?

I wonder whether the problems I am having with styles is related to the Visio drawings disappearing. Any ideas/helpful hints?

Thanks,
Cathy