RE: Printing from Word using DocuTech systems

Subject: RE: Printing from Word using DocuTech systems
From: "Susan Ahrenhold" <sahrenhold -at- winspc -dot- com>
To: "'Hart, Geoff'" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 13:33:16 -0400

My apologies for the premature e-mail. My fingers had a creze.

>Any tips, warnings, war stories, or suggestions (other than "use a real DTP
>program")? I'll be talking to another service bureau today to find out
their
>specific recommendations for their specific Docutech setup, but I'd like to
>have some facts in hand to perform a reality check on the advice I've
>received.

My recommendation for going to any new printer arrangement is to always run
a test.
Create a sample file that contains examples of everything you want to do --
fonts, graphics, table borders, unusual layouts, etc. and have the printer
do a blue of these.

In general, I have found that the PDF solution solves most, if not all (be
sure to check that embedded list on each document!), font problems, and I
like being able to see a graphic representation of the PostScript file.
I have worked with people who could read and trouble-shoot PostScript, but
my personal feeling is that life is too short.

Remember, just remember that the Docutech technology is now mature enough
that it is reasonable to expect an easy, workable solution.