Re: Documentation Change Cycle

Subject: Re: Documentation Change Cycle
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:33:12 -0700 (PDT)

--- Esther Asham <esyasham -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> Fellow Tech Writers
>

> Does anyone know of a good documentation cycle to
> follow for changes requested in the on-line help user
> guide.
> A gentleman from our sales departments decided that he
> wanted to adopt different terms and hence needed the
> documentation (on-line and manual) to change.
> Product Management agreed to that, except that I said
> I can not change my documentation until the Product
> Management Requirements Docs are updated. (I am
> working in a start-up and hence we no policies nor
> procedures)

If the "Product Management Requirements Doc" mentioned above is a project that
you are currently working on to a deadline, your situation makes sense to
me...a little bit. If you are saying that you will not do work that your
management has agreed to do until someone writes a requirements document for
it, you are making Andrew Plato's case.

The fact that you are a start-up and have neither policies nor procedures
should, if anything make it possible for you to cut through the bureacracy and
get the work done. It sounds like you know what is wanted but don't want to do
it.

If I'm misreading your post, which I've been known to do, please advise.
Otherwise, I would suggest that you stop dragging your feet and try to do what
you are being asked to do. (Or, IMNSHO, you won't be doing whatever it is you
do there much longer.)

=====
Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer