Re: Internal transfer

Subject: Re: Internal transfer
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 05:28:29 -0700 (PDT)

--- NZjaba -at- phi -dot- com wrote:
> Listers, help!
>
> I'm currently a writer in my co.'s manuals dept. An opportunity has come
> up doing marketing tech writing for another division. After meeting with
> that division's marketing head, I sent him my resume and spoke to my
> supervisor, per co. policy.
>
> Shortly thereafter, the marketing head started talking about a
> "probationary" period in which I would split my time between the two jobs,
> so I could be sure I liked the marketing writing, which would involve some
> travel. (I don't do any traveling now.) I told him I understood what the
> job would be like, and didn't think such an arrangement was necessary. But
> he continues to push for it.
>
> I feel like I've been put in a bad spot. My current boss already knows I'm
> looking elsewhere. And suddenly this job offer is down to half-time, with
> time billable at my current pay rate.
>
> Any thoughts on where to proceed? My boss's boss may nix the idea (and
> most likely will). I feel like there's something going on in the
> background at the other division, but am not sure what.

Interestingly enough, there may be nothing sinister going on at all. In my
experience, intra-company transfers are generally negotiated between the
gaining and losing managers. Your current boss may be insisting on keeping you
part time to get some critical work done and to transition your
responsibilities to someone else, who may still have to be hired.

Another lister suggested that the Marketing Manager may be instituting a
probationary period, to make sure you can cut it. Again this is a good thing.
You may not like it, even if you think there's no way you won't now. Experience
has a funny way of educating us sometimes. <g>

All in all, I see you in a good situation. You are getting a transfer into an
area you are obviously excited about. Both of your managers seem to value your
skills.

What is going on behind the scenes may actually be good for you as well as for
the company.

=====
Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer