RE: print-prep (was: Adobe Photoshop Justification)

Subject: RE: print-prep (was: Adobe Photoshop Justification)
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: Max Wyss <prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 02:31:14 -0700

> Glen,
>
> of course, something can be done. It requires, however, some planning
> and possibly some compromizing.

> The very first thing which has to be known is the resolution of the
> intended output device.

That would be an HP 8100DN Laser printer ... but I'm not sure of the
resolution (contract is over, anyway).

> When you know this value, open the screenshot in Photoshop and adjust
> the resolution of the screenshot to a number which divides without
> remainder (for example, output resolution is 1200 dpi, you set the
> resolution of your screenshot to 150 dpi). This is for greyscale
> screenshots.

Alas, we didn't have Photoshop. My "DTP" package was Word, and the
screen capture utility was SnagIt. The graphic editor was Paint Shop
Pro
6.x or Graphic Converter on the Mac (my iMac, at home). Guess I
should've mentioned that ...! Sorry about that ....

> Then you place the screenshot in your document again. NOTE that you
> MUST NOT scale the screenshot in the page layout program. Just place
> it and that's it. When you print, all your moirés are gone (because
> in our example, your printer will have a cell of 8x8 pixels to
> display one pixel from the screenshot.

Generally, I would have to rescale the graphic for size to fit with the
rest of the text (pesky Information Mapping format ...). I might have a
setting in SnagIt that would let me do that automatically, though ...

> If you still have problems, you could do the color reduction
> yourself. In this case, go back to photoshop and create a B/W image
> with the printer resolution and the desired size (in mm or inch).
> Then place this one. If you don't do any scaling, this now really
> should get rid of the moirés. When you do the resolution adjustment,
> be aware of the hairline issue; single pixel wide lines may or may
> not be properly printed (however, this should be not such a big deal
> anyway, because your original image will have a way lower resolution
> anyway, and in the conversion process, a pixel from the screenshot
> will turn into a blob of pixels.
>
> Hope, this can help.

Well, not right now (no Photoshop, and the contract is complete), but I
will certainly keep this message in my list of useful advice for a time
when it
*will* come in handy.

Thank you!

--gdw

> Max Wyss
> PRODOK Engineering
> Low Paper workflows, Smart documents, PDF forms
> CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland
>
> Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
> e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
> http://www.prodok.ch

(*snip*)