Re: More help needed

Subject: Re: More help needed
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 04:52:04 -0700

Sharon Deitch wrote:

> When documenting data records, which of the following would you find
> preferable:
>
> + Listing all the fields in a table, including whether the field is
> required and what to fill in the field (also what type of data can be input,
> where appropriate).

> + Numbered steps that take the user through the data screen, including all
> of the above information.

In my experience most style guides point to using numbered steps where there is
a definite sequence of activities that should be followed. Where there is a
screen with a number of fields, only some of which are required, there really
isn't a true sequence. It seems to me that a better approach might be to list
all the fields in a table, indicating which are required and what kind of data
goes there.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems