Re: node vs. element

Subject: Re: node vs. element
From: Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com>
To: Ian Ferguson <IanFe -at- Attachmate -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 13:53:58 -0700

At 12:34 PM 10/2/00 -0700, Ian Ferguson wrote:

Hello,

I'm writing developer documentation, annotating a sample XSLT file. I want
to refer to what the XML spec calls elements, but my SME calls nodes. After
reviewing several sources, I've found that much XSL documentation uses these
terms in a way that appears random. In a single document, I'll see "nodes,"
"elements," and "element nodes." In addition, the "root" is sometimes called
the root, root node, or root element.
An element is a named container for text, graphics, child elements, or whatever.

A node is an element that is the target of a link. Depending on the
type of Xpointer being used for the link, the node element may or may not
have a value in its ID attribute.

An element node is just a more explicit way of describing a node.

A root node is the element at the highest level of structure (i.e.,
the element that contains as children all the other elements in
the document.
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
Voice/Fax: 949-722-8971 E-Mail: danemory -at- primenet -dot- com
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646
majordomo -at- omsys -dot- com with "subscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.