autorun.inf + link to execute setup.exe --- revisited

Subject: autorun.inf + link to execute setup.exe --- revisited
From: Mark Dempsey <dempseys3 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWRL <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 11:24:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I've received a couple of helpful replies about my
request to autorun and open an HTML file with a link
that runs setup.exe without a confirmation dialog, but
neither quite does the job.

One says "link to a .bat [etc.] file that refers to
setup.exe to avoid the open/run dialog when you click
on a link to setup.exe."

This is not true. Test it yourself, and you'll see
(could my result be related to me running NT, not Win
9X?)...So I still need to know how (javascipt, asq?)
to click a link and have a setup.exe file run without
confirmation.

More important, I'd like to have autorun.inf open an
HTML file (*not* an *.exe). One helpful poster showed
me how to run Acrobat (an *.exe) and open a pdf, but I
don't have the luxury of shipping an installed
application (Acrobat or a browser for HTML), so I'd
just like to open the HTML directly. I thought
Microsoft's autorun.inf shellexecute command would do
that, but can't confirm this.

I am also aware there are some shareware programs that
open specified files with their registered
applications, but would prefer to avoid them.

Thanks again for the attempted help...Please try
again!

TTFN,

=====
--